O, Christmas Tree!
At this point I would imagine that some have heard this story, but I just want to set the record straight. Most everyone knows that I love REAL Christmas trees. Yes the kind with real pine smell, real pine sap, and real pine needles all over the floor. Well it's been about 6 years since we've had the space or money for a second tree to complement the beautiful, but woefully FAKE, tree that we have each year. I told Heather that I wanted the kids to have their own tree, one they could decorate any way they wanted to. I convinced her that a REAL tree, a small one at that would fit in the bonus/toy room would be acceptable. Honestly I had initially envisioned something similar to Charlie Brown's tree. . .

BUT. . .
when we got to the Christmas tree place I just couldn't do it. The REAL ones were just so awesome, I just was unable to pass it up. So here's what we ended up with. . . our "little" tree in the toy room. Oh, and did I mention that I had to trim 12 inches from the top to make it fit in the room the way I wanted it.
Despite my efforts to pass it off that "the kids picked it out". . .
Cayden was duped by Heather into rattin' me out, that I truly did pick the tree.
We all had so much fun decorating it!
Even Garrett was able to drag Heather in to put on a few decorations.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Oh and p.s. Yes it did cost $40 (which is about twice what the "projected budget" was)
p.p.s. Yes I did buy 400 lights to put on it, but they were only $2 dollars a box
p.p.p.s Yes I did spend $7 on a tree stand
p.p.p.p.s. But what was truly PRICELESS was me in the pooring rain, in my flipflops using twine to put it on the roof of the Odyssey to get it home and then driving 20 mph the 7 miles to get home watching the twine unravel the whole way home!
3 comments:
Nate- I kept telling Heather what a great memory this was going to be in a few years. I loved the story!!! I bet the kids think you are the coolest Dad!
What a fun story! I was picturing it a little bit like Christmas Vacation, only with a little less sap. I'll bet your kids will have great memories of having their very own tree.
I'm with you Nate. Growing up in Oregon and having a real tree every year, I just cannot stand the thought of a fake tree ever touching the floor of my house! Chris got a nice Noble fir and you know, I love that pine smell. (You can ask Chris about the fun he had cramming the tree INTO the van and the hours it took him to put the lights on the blasted thing!)
Post a Comment