Sunday, September 13, 2009

girl power.


I've never been athletic. My mom tried her best to encourage me to learn athletic things, she put me in sport programs: soccer,volleyball, t.ball...Unfortunately,after game after games, while I was doing cartwheels on the field and picking dandelions for my mom, she realized I wasn't really learning any skills. So, I tried other sports: gymnastics, ballet, dance, swimming & tap. Wow. Still nothing. I did try, and stuck with swimming for a few years, but I was never really competitive {til college}and probably my mom was thinking this poor girl... she probably has my coordination. I'm just not good at kicking, catching, throwing, or hitting a ball. Finally, the past few years of watching some great friends or reading about them on their blogs... about them running races, half-marathons, marathons, and even the ultimate Wasatch Back made me want to run. Running is a sport, right? While I kept hearing about or seeing my friends running or even seeing pictures of them i caught the bug and helped form a "girl's team" to run as well. At first, it was terrible. I started 7 weeks ago. I couldn't get faster than a 11 min. mile and only ran 3.5 miles! it truly has been a real love-hate thing! i did a little better on Saturday.......... ran my first 5k with my "girl team" who i love & admire so much. i ran a 10 min. mile run. I know it is too early to tell, but I think I may actually feel athletic for the first time! :)

The race was up in Seattle and it started at 8am. So, we had to leave home at about 5am to leave time for driving and picking up our race packets once we got there. The course was around Green Lake, which is really close to the U of Washington campus. The 5k run was once around the lake and the 10k was twice around.


my "girl team"
amy, racheal, me, tierre.

before the race.
amy. tierre. & i did the 5k & rach did the 10k.

after the race with our medals.. lookin really "hot" :)

obviously, me ;)
us being silly.

this was something for me. it felt so great. i have admired my friends for so long...... i was proud that i did it. i know a 5k is not that HUGE but it was my first.... i'm addicted now. still a love-hate thing but, it has motivated me to run.... now next is the 10K. maybe a half in the future. i won't push my luck just yet. thanks girls for a wonderful day. way tooooooooo go!

love, h.

20 comments:

Allison J. said...

good job girl!

RR said...

heather..you already posted..dang I didn't get a chance to email you may pictures yet.

RR said...

heather..I'm so proud of you.
When are we going to organize our own lacey 5th race??

I'm looking forward to next year!!

Dave, Arielle, Grayson and Ashlynn said...

Wow- way to go!!!! I totally need to do the next one- I am really proud of you- WAY TO GO!!!

Kristin said...

Congrats! What an accomplishment.

briana said...

you are an inspiration to me! here i have been athletic most of my life but i have never run a race. i have thought about it! (does that count?) it just proves to me that you are the strong, incredible friend i have always thought you were!

go you!

Danielle said...

Way to go...you look hot!

Monica said...

That is SO AWESOME girl!! I am SO proud of you...you rock!! You look amazing and keep up the good work! I am STILL trying to get myself into gear after having the baby to run...it's not working lately. Just maybe you lit the fire for me...just maybe! Way to go!!

Odd Family said...

Way to go!! I am coming to the next one for sure!!! You are awesome!:)

Becky said...

Good job, Heather! I'm going to do a 10k in the spring. I have a love/hate relationship with running, too. And I'm slow. When I run 5 miles, I don't ever go any faster than 11 min. per mile, so I think 11 minutes is good!

Coleman Family said...

YAY!!! I wish I'd gone when you asked, dang it! I need to have more faith in myself - it's such a love/hate thing for me too! I'm very proud of you lady! And I'm fo sho goin' next year too!

Sarah said...

Rock it, girl. Looks like you got a cute shirt and a medal out of the deal too--nice! You should try the ones on Ft. Lewis next--way cheaper (some are even free) and closer to home. I'll be sure to let you know if I do one.

Jess said...

That is soooo awesome! And I just have to tell you that Running IS a sport and it is the hardest one that I know. Being an athlete and doing most sports... running was always hard for me and I NEVER enjoyed it. I am so impressed. You might have just inspired me.

BTW - you totally look HOT!

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,
Thats so awesome! I also got into running back in march. It's a great way to relieve some of that stress that we carry around. We should go running together next time your down. I may still some of your party ideas from marleys party for paytons. Hope that's ok! Oh, your pictures look cute!

Becky said...

Good job Heath! It looks like you had a ton of fun. I love running! My friend has me training for a 1/2 marathon and maybe even a marathon next year! I would love to do be able to say I ran one in my life! Love ya!

shauni said...

Way to go Heather! I am cracking up at the cartwheels in the field comment because I DID THE SAME THING!! Now I watch Ammon playing "transformers" on the field and get so frustrated that he doesn't pay attention!! (poor kid got a lot of my bad traits, including my lack of athletic ability) Yes, running is a sport! I'm so glad to see you've been bitten by the running bug and how fun to have friends to run with you.

The Willis Wonder Years said...

You go girl!!!! That is such ana awesome feeling and I am so happy you did it!! You should run the Turkey Trot with me and Jess on Thanksgiving morning. You can do either a 5 or 10 K.

The Coxes said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! Miss you guys! Kendy :)

Camilla Millar said...

Congratulations. SO AMAZING!!

I too, feel like a piece of dirt when I read everyone else's physical exploits. Reading your post made me feel like it is never to late to start. . . . .now I just need to invest in a really expensive sports bra to keep my 'girls' put.

Celeste said...

wow heather! what a great goal & proud of you for keeping on it!