Friday, April 15, 2011

{this is real.it is a real feeling}

{cayden age 4}

i am doing what I’ve wanted to do since the time I was young.
 I get to be a mom. I know people have differing opinions about it, but for me I consider being home with my children a gift. It is something I want, and somehow right now I’ve been blessed with it. Being a stay.at.home.mom isn’t easy. It takes a great deal of will power. I am my own boss. Every day I have to make a mental list for myself of what I want to have happen. Sometimes I fail. At times  I don’t meet every expectation. Other days my 3 1/2 year old attempts to convince me that he’s the boss.. there are certain aspects of motherhood I’m not very good at. I’m not up at 6 a.m. preparing well-balanced breakfasts of eggs, pancakes, bacon and orange juice. it usually is pop.tarts. Morning and I accept each other… but that doesn’t mean we have to like each other. 
On the rare occasion we have pancakes… & it's usually when daddy makes them.
Anyway… my fault list could go on a mile, but I’m attempting to focus on the positive. right now that is a must.

Despite all this there are those moments of satisfaction, when I feel a sense of accomplishment. When I just don’t give a little of me, but I give all of me. i love to give fun parties. i love to read  bedtime stories when i have the energy. Holidays are full of traditions, excitement and usually a little bit over the top.  There is never a shortage of love and hugs and happy moments. I go to church, spend most of the time in the hall chasing the {3 1/2} year old but I do it because that’s what you do, and that is what I want my kids to see me doing… going even when it's tough. I’m trying to learn new things. I’m trying to make our house a home, a comfortable and peaceful place for my children to grow. 
These are the moments and the accomplishments that make me think…
think of what my little boy, well not so little in a week. he will be 9.
i don't think he knew at 9 he would be having these feelings. having anxiety & panic attacks.
this is when being that mom is hard. it breaks my heart.
heavenly father has always wanted me to learn patience... a.lot.of it. i never knew why until now. listening to your child say: mom, my stomach hurts. why? my heart hurts. i am scared. why do i feel like this. why,why, why. all i can say is... i don't know sweet.heart.
but, i guess i do know. it is genetics. it runs in my family. i have anxiety. that is hard for me to admit to. i know how Cayden is feeling. & it breaks my heart.
i know his head is stuck. that is the best way to describe it. i bought a book for him called
"what to do when you WORRY TO MUCH"
A kids guide to overcoming Anxiety.
if you have any kids that are going through similar situations it is the best book ever.
Cayden & i have worry time every day for 10 min. he can share his worries with me.
i know we can get through this. it has been draining the last few weeks but, who said life was easy right!? :) :)
The book gives some great tools like:
lock up worries in a strong box....
make worries wait for worry time.....
tell worries to get lost.....
relax with a favorite memory......
stay strong in your body & in your mind........

All i know is i am doing what I’ve wanted to do since the time I was young+ i have the best second half i could ever ask for working next to me side.by.side.

I know Cayden is going to feel so good When he gets all the tools he needs to finally
be able to draw himself without all his worries
& i hope he
 will still look & smile like this:


 s.i.m.p.l.y. p.e.a.c.e.f.u.l

10 comments:

Coleman Family said...

Well, know you are a fabulous mom...you're a fabulous person period. It sounds like you're doing all you can and the rest will just take time. Being a mom is the TOUGHEST job out there, I don't care what anyone says differently. Hang in there and stay close to the Lord, that's what I have to keep telling myself! Love you!

Becky said...

Wow, I bet I could benefit from that book! I'm such a worrier. I see it a little in my kids sometimes. They'll say, "I have a sad/scared feeling in my tummy and I don't know why." Poor babies.

RR said...

I cried reading your post!

I too am a anxiety, nervous, sweaty, crazy person. The first time Greg and I went on a date I threw up all over his car and asked him to take me home.

I think you're a wonderful mother!

The Millers said...

Heather you are seriously the BEST mom ever. Your kids are so lucky to have you!!

Heitmann Family said...

Mr. Cayden came to you for a reason. If only because you can be the best mom he needs. You are great and so is Cayden. I am glad to call you my friend!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, I sobbed my heart out when I read your post...of course I knew what you were dealing with, but you never verbalized it as you have today.I have never been prouder of you than at this moment.
You and Nate are wonderful parents and this to will pass. Cayden is very blessed to have you as his mom. You are always on top of everything until you get is solved.
Love as always,
Mom

Elise said...

Insightful post Heath. Hope you know that there are a lot of people, all over the US, cheering for both you and C : ) Thanks for being you!

Dave, Arielle, Grayson and Ashlynn said...

Your such an Amazing person and Mom Heather!!!!! I'm sooo sorry that Cayden is having such a hard time with anxiety (I can only imagine how hard that is to watch as a Mother), and for you too:(!!! What a great book, I want to check it out now! Just to let you know I suffered from severe anxiety and the "Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety program" literally saved my life!! It is an amazing program for both Cayden and you! It will take away your anxiety and helps with depression!!! I know soo many people that have used it and are now not suffering from Anxiety problems- they know how to deal with them! Let nme know if you have any questions about it!!! http://www.stresscenter.com/mwc/

Check it out- trust me you won't regret it!!!!

briana said...

such a great post heather. you are just what he needs. perfect for cayden in every way. what a great mom you are! i just love you. i think you are amazing. someone else thought you were too . . . that is why He chose you to be that little boy's momma! ;)

you, my friend, are awesome!

melanie33 said...

ditto to bri.... that boy made you a mom and he is making you better and better with every hurdle you leap through. You will work together and grow though this and end up proud and strong on the other side!!