What were blue today was my son, Garrett's lips and face! A mother's worst nightmare came true today.. I was going out today to get out of the house to enjoy the weather. Garrett needed a bath before we left. I filled up the bath with warm water got some toys for him to play with & was just about to wash his hair. No shampoo, but not a problem cause it was right under the sink. This is where I feel like such a horrible mother.. I turned away for not even 10 seconds, but Garrett can roll every which direction & rolled over from his back to his stomach in less than 5 seconds. I found him face down in the water not moving & when I grabbed him out of the water his face & lips were turning blue! I freaked out, crying so hard but had a prayer in my heart that Heavenly Father would let him be o.k. & help me as a mother to do the right things to help him. I started hitting his back so hard hoping the water would come out, but after doing that once nothing was happening. I hit his back one more time & water started coming up... then the screaming came & I never wanted that more in my life to hear my baby scream! That was the scariest 30 seconds of my life!
All day I have been beating myself up.. like WHY did you ever turn away, you know better than that....
I know there is no answer & accidents happen but, seriously things happen so fast & I didn't believe it until today.
I have learned a lot today & I hope this can help someone especially me to not look away for even 1 second while a baby/toddler is in any kind of water!!
I hope my sweet Garrett can forgive me & will still love his bath time with mommy!

So, I went & bought him a new toy & a new BLUE blankie to snuggle with! He loves blankets!! :)
I'm so glad he is O.K.!! Love you Garrett...
15 comments:
HOLY CRAP Heather! How scary for you! I would have been freaking out! Were Cayden and Marlee there? I am so glad there was a happy end to this story! It is crazy how things can happen SO fast! But you kept calm and did all the right things! So go you!
ah hello, scary!! I am glad he is alright. I'll call you later this morning!!!
Wow! Not only is Garret watched out for but his Mama is being watched out for also. I'm so glad to hear everything turned out alright.
man, i can only imagine the panic! i am so happy to know that he is ok. and if it were any of the rest of us, we would be doing the same thing....beating ourselves up, cuz don't you know that is what moms do best!
Wow, what a great lesson. I'm so sorry you had that scare, but thanks for sharing. Here's another tip that I learned from experience: Don't put your head down to look through the mail while your children are in a swimming pool, even if you're sitting right there!!!
I'm so glad he is okay...and thanks for the reminder. We all turn our heads for 10 seconds. I hope you are doing better too.
I second Kelli. We ALL turn our head for ten seconds! I am so sorry that you had to go through that! How incredibly scary! I am soo soo soo glad that he is okay. what a blessing. That is too freaking scary! You need a GNO!
AND! I got a kick out of your daughter's clearing her throat "twitch." It makes me feel like we all have something. What we should really do is go out in public with those two!
How scary- glad he is okay! Things happen fast and we all make mistakes. Thank goodness they are little and will forget!
Thanks so much for sharing. We can all use a little reminder. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that though... I was holding my breath reading the whole post. I'm glad everything turned out ok.
Quit abusing your poor kids, will ya? J/K--it happens to the best of us. Glad he's okay, and thanks for hanging out with my hubby-less self tonight. I hope you have a great weekend!
heather,
I don't know what those security things are about. Someone keeps commenting on my blog and then when I check it its some anti virus thing..what the heck. See if you can get to the bottom of it. rr
So sorry, Heather. That must've been awful for both of you. I'm glad everything turned out ok, but I can only imagine the panic. It's a good reminder for ALL of us that turn our backs for any amount of time when our children are around water...although kids seem to always find SOME way to get themselves hurt/in trouble. We do our best, right?
Oh my gosh Heather! How freaking scary! Im glad he's ok! Poor little guy! Don't beat yourself up it could happen to anyone, these little buggers just move to fast for their own good. Your a good mom!!
I hope you are recovering from your heart attack. I am recovering as well. I am glad that I can provide you with some laughter, sorry you were peeing your pants, that couldnt have been pleasant. Sally was very gracious about the ink btw.. are you still coming out here soon? we should try to hook up at some point if you are. have a good and SAFE day.
Heather, thanks for the reminder. I've totally LEFT the room before to grab a towel, bar of soap, or answer the phone so I don't think you are a bad mom or anything.
SO glad he's ok.
Post a Comment